Hiring a domestic couple is a great option if you are looking for a team of two individuals to work together. Occasionally, you may be presented with a unique option in which a “couple” does not have a connection other than their professional background. In other words, they may present themselves as a couple and have willingness to work as one but not actually be a couple by definition – a nontraditional domestic couple.
Typically, a nontraditional couple is two people who have worked or lived closely with each other in the past, know they work very well together as a team, but are not actually life partners. When comparing a nontraditional domestic couple with a traditional one, there are advantages and disadvantages to both. Depending on your specific needs, you should consider what kind of couple would help you the most.
Benefits of a Traditional Domestic Couple:
- A united team working towards a common goal
- The ability to share living space
- Having a shared past, experience problem solving, brainstorming, etc.
- An understanding of how each other works – they can hit the ground running
Potential Challenges with a Traditional Domestic Couple:
- If you need to let go of one employee, you may have to let go of both as they come as a team. (Sometimes, while they may both be talented candidates, their strengths and weaknesses don’t balance out to meet your needs. For example, they are both good cooks but neither of them are particularly skilled at working with children.)
- Couples usually would like to take their vacation time together
Benefits of a Nontraditional Domestic Couple:
- Are flexible to take separate vacation days
- Are flexible to be separated if needed
- Can work more independently of each other
- Different backgrounds and sets of ideals may lead to more creative problem solving
Potential Challenges with a Nontraditional Domestic Couple:
- May require more living space
- May not have had too much experience in a similar position working very closely together
Every situation is unique and therefore requires its own distinct set of expectations as well as limitations. What can work in one situation may not work in another so it is best to take everything into consideration when deciding what kind of couple you would benefit from hiring.
About Private Staff Group
At Private Staff Group our technologies, our recruitment team and our candidate networks are second to none when it comes to finding the personal, private, and domestic professionals you can count on. If you want to hire a domestic couple, we can pair you with the right candidates. To learn more about what we can do we invite you to contact us today.